About the Make it Mariko Team
We are an all women-of-color team committed to curating creative, inclusive, and diverse spaces in the events industry. We’re here to challenge the status quo and pave the way for a new generation of diverse event experience curators.
The Make It Mariko team is growing! In 2020 we pivoted to focus on Virtual Event Production and we’ve been so thankful to have a busy client list that keeps expanding. With this new growth, we are looking to open up opportunities for the next generation of event experience curators to learn and train with our amazon all women of color team.
The Make it Mariko Event Interns will work closely with our all women of color event planning squad. This is a great opportunity for an up and coming Event Coordinator who wants to learn the ropes of Virtual Event Production, Event Marketing, and Event Experience Curation.
Our Team =
- Female founder run, #Pinayistas with 10+ years experience in event planning, nonprofit operations, and corporate marketing/events. Our founder, Gina Mariko, formerly worked at Google X as the Head of Marketing Events and ran her own 501c3 nonprofit.
- We love to mentor, train, and help connect people. We care about your career growth and want to make sure you are successful.
- We appreciate sarcasm, lots of laughter, and direct, honest communication.
- We are nonprofit enthusiasts and care about contributing to the San Francisco POC creative community.
- Super organized, self-driven, and eager to contribute. Over-achievers are encouraged 😉
- Passionate about marketing & events, providing kick ass customer service, and getting shit done.
- Are a big picture problem solver, but willing to roll up your sleeves to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- SUPER detail oriented. Loves correct spelling and good grammar.
- Can stay calm and make quick decisions under pressure
- Have exceptional communication skills, spelling, and grammar
- Must use the Oxford comma
- Have a passion for life and looking to make your mark on the world! Believe and are passionate about creating magical, meaningful moments for our clients
- Vendor Outreach & Estimate creation
- Prepare Vendor quote proposals for clients
- Day of Vendor Coordination
Virtual Event Planning
- Build knowledge around the basics of various virtual event platforms like Zoom, Hopin, Gatherly, and Twitch
- Find new virtual platforms that can be beneficial for clients
- Setup virtual events on various platforms for real client events
- Prep Speakers for virtual events and assist with actual tech rehearsals for Speakers
- Day-of Event Chat Moderation
- Attendee Customer Support & Guest Services
- Work with your cohort to pitch and plan a Virtual Industry Happy Hour Event at the end of April for Make it Mariko clients and community
Client Management & Relationship Building
- Create client sales & pitch decks
- Build knowledge and practice on how to present vendor research to clients in a clear and concise way
- Learn best practices, tips, and tricks for using Google Slides
- Observe and take notes during client meetings
Content Creation & Marketing
- Build basic skills to create and navigate WordPress templates to update website content
- Build and Design Marketing Slide Decks
- Contribute to Marketing Events strategies
- Creating Event Photo & Wrap-up Blogs
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Must have the ability to work remotely and from our livestream hub in San Francisco as needed for virtual events (for 2 of our 3 interns). The position for 1 remote intern will not require work in-person.
- Minimum 1-year experience with planning events either directly with a company, organization, or independently
- Past experience working with artists/arts orgs, social justice orgs, or nonprofits is a plus
- Must be familiar with, and ideally already proficient at, using Google GSuite (Slides, Docs, Sheets, Drive)
- Working knowledge of Mailchimp, WordPress, Later.com, Photoshop, Illustrator is a plus
- Exceptional writing & communication skills
- Knowledgeable in writing and speaking with culturally and community responsive language about QTBIPOC communities and experiences Must have own laptop and access to reliable WIFI
QTPOC & Women of Color highly encouraged to apply!
2021 Schedule and Duration:
- Tuesday January 12, 2021: Applications open on website
- Friday January 22nd: Applications Close
- Week of January 25th: Review Apps + Interviews
- February 1st – April 30th: Internship Program Duration
- End of April: Plan and Oversee a Virtual Event Industry Happy Hour
- Availability to shadow the following event days (virtual, but possibly in person at our SF office). If you can’t make any of these dates, it’s not a deal breaker, but please note this in your application.
- Postman Galaxy: February 2-4, 2021
- Work Truck Solutions: February 9, 2021
- Pomeroy Center Banner of Love : February 11, 2021
- Art Changes Lives: April 23, 2021
How to Apply:
Apply at www.makeitmariko.com/jobs/nextgen2021. Please prepare the following info to submit as part of your application:
- Resume in PDF format
- Link to your Instagram page or relevant Blog/Portfolio
- Sample Event Mood Board – We want to get to know your style! Share with us a sample event mood board on Google Slides that showcases your personal design style and aesthetic.
NO CALLS PLEASE.
Applications will be accepted until January 22, 2021.